Do you believe that music has healing abilities? I do. Whenever I find myself feeling discouraged and struggling with life goals; whether it is a blog post, short story, or some other large project- I pick-up my MP3 player and listen to my favourite song. (Usually while relaxing in my rocking chair). Immediately following the end of a ditty, I feel an instant change in my mood. Typically, I listen to tunes that I think are uplifting like, ‘Better Than I by Dallyn Vail Bayles’(Originally from the film Joseph King of Dreams). Or ‘Pure Imagination by Josh Groban (Originally from the film Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Yep! After hearing a few positive phrases from these artists’- I’m usually ready to hit the ground running! However, these wonderful works of art are not the only ones I listen too- I also concentrate on Christmas Music! (This probably doesn’t surprise you since you’re on a Christmas site!) In fact- Christmas songs are usually my first choice. And today I’m going to share with you the top 10 classic Christmas songs of all time!
Are you ready? Here comes the list!
1. Hark! The Hareld Angels Sing– this is the most powerful Christmas Song I have ever heard. The lyrics are incredibly uplifting, and the combination of instruments and choir is so beautiful it will make your eyes water and goose bumps run along your arms. I personally listen to this song every day. Actually, there are days where I spend 2-3 hours in my rocking chair just listening to Hark. (No joke. I really do this).
2. It came upon a Midnight Clear– this one is also a tear dropper. (But not as much so as the first song listed). Midnight clear has the ability to instantly send the listener into a state of relaxation with intense feelings of hope and wonder. Don’t believe me? Just close your eyes and concentrate. It will happen.
3. The First Noel– I have yet to meet someone who hasn’t heard this song at least once before; while it is popular to shoppers, Church goers, and Christmas Carollers for the songs favoured verse: ‘Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the King of Israel!’ Yes indeed. If you are in search of a popular tune to get you in the Christmas spirit- I can’t think of a better song than ‘The First Noel.’!
4. Silent Night- Oh, this is such a gorgeous melody! ‘Silent Night’ has appeared in best-selling novels, popular films, and HIT band CD’s. And I think it goes without saying that no matter how many different ways this song is presented- it is always fantastic. I have never heard a badly recorded version of this classic carol.
5. We Three Kings of Orient Are– If you ever feel lost in life or on Christmas Day- than I highly suggest you listen to this song to help you find your way! (Yes, that rhyme was intended). If you close your eyes and picture a bright star shining in an otherwise starless sky- than your troubles may not feel so troubling after all. It’s a great reminder that everyone gets lost now and then, but will always get where they need to go in the end.
6. O Holy Night– This song may be slow in speed, but it has an incredibly powerful verse that is guaranteed to send shivers up your spine every time you hear it. The verse is as follows: ‘fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices
Oh, night divine’ Mere words cannot describe how touching those phrases are- all I can say is- listen to it and find out for yourself!
7. Oh Come All Ye Faithful- A great tune to listen to (or sing along with) when you are sitting with friends and family. It is hard to say why- but for me the rhythm just has that impact. When you hear it on your own the verses feel empty. But when you’re surrounded by others- it feels cheery and meaningful.
8. Ave’ Maria- Do you like Opera? If so, than this is the Christmas Song for you! Traditionally, Ave’ Maria is sung by a male voice artist who sings the chorus in a high range manner- and holds the notes for an impressive period of time. A popular song and one that is well worth hearing. Especially for the first time.
9. Little Drummer Boy– Much like Silent Night– this song has been recorded many times. And frequently gets a special mention in sitcom holiday specials due to its wonderful message that although you may not have a lot of money- you can still give a meaningful gift! The song also has a memorable beat. A true classic indeed!
10. Away in a Manger- Unfortunately, this sweet little song gets shoved under the rug now days. Christmas music often gets turned into remixes, and although there is nothing wrong with that- there are some songs that just don’t sound right when you change up the tune- and ‘Away in a Manager’ is one of those songs. To sing it any-other way would just sound wrong or disrespectful. The sign of a true classic! So don’t let this song disappear completely Okay? Give it a listen every once in a while or put it on your music device so it has a permanent home.
Now, don’t let the moment get away from you – experience the healing magic of Christmas melodies, and keep them close to your heart all year long! I guarantee you that if these songs are listened to on a regular basis- you will feel more aware and hopeful about the future.
Happy listening, everyone!
Also, please keep in mind that the links provided lead directly to the artists’ full album. You may have to scroll a little bit to find the song you are looking for. But don’t worry- they are all there. 😀